Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday's Music: Ninth Ave Reverie - The Middle East





Choosing a song from this band was one of the hardest decisions I’ve EVER had to make when it’s come to music. I started listening to them only a couple months ago, but they’re already one of my absolute favourites, and I love almost all their songs equally. It was between this song, The Darkest Side, Lonely and Hunger Song.

Although this isn’t one of their most famous (they’re mostly renowned for Blood), it moves me a lot. I like how his voice is so honest and hopeful and melancholy, and I love how he says ‘you say a lot of things’, he just sounds really fond of whoever he’s singing about, and really sad. The lyrics in general are so quirky, and they paint lovely pictures in my head. I thought I heard a bit of Saba’s father in this song, with his star gazing, and the whole thing with Lugh not believing in the stars.

I wholly recommend the rest of their albums (they only have two, and one of them is really short). Their music is very inspirational and relaxing, and listening to their songs from start to finish is like going on a summer road trip.

You say you can't stop dreaming about your funeral day
Where all your long-time friends will be crying for you
I'd be up the back with a rose in my hand
And I'd give to you in death what I could not in life
~Bushra

No comments:

Post a Comment