Sunday, May 5, 2013

Movie Madness #2: The Hobbit



The Hobbit: Or There And Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien

The Book:
 The Hobbit is a light, fun adventure that I really enjoyed. It's certainly not as dark and complicated as Lord Of The Rings but it's still extremely entertaining. The Hobbit is one of the best fantasy books ever and I can't recommend it enough! I definitely think most people will enjoy The Hobbit and it's easy to see why it's a Classic. 

The Movie:
How do you adapt such a slim novel into 3 movies? I'll tell you how! You add tons of filler scenes that are pretty unnecessary to make these films substantially longer.  There were so many unnecessary scenes in The Hobbit that weren't present in the novel. The Hobbit is an extremely slow-paced movie and I think Peter Jackson basically mutilated the novel. It wasn't a terrible movie but I had way too high expectations. Peter Jackson tried to make The Hobbit a dark film like Lord Of The Rings but the problem is a light, fun novel.
I still will be seeing the sequel but I don't know why I'm going to bother.

Consensus: The Book

Final Opinion:
The Hobbit is a excellent fast paced novel but the movie is ultimately too slow-paced and watered down. I feel like Peter Jackson made the wrong decision turning The Hobbit into 3 films. If you're a Tolkien fan, you'll most likely be disappointed by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment