Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Try It Tuesday: John Green


Yes, this week it’s a person! I’ll warn you all from the beginning that this post won’t do him justice. John Green is a most inspirational, accomplished man. He’s an author of several bestselling books, has a youtube channel (Vlogbrothers, with his brother, Hank Green) that has over a million subscribers, and on top of that, a father and husband. I’m quite sure you’ve heard his name around, since his newest novel, The Fault In Our Stars, has been the New York Times best seller for a while now!

I first discovered John’s and Hank’s youtube channel when a friend linked me to a video of theirs from 2009, about how to be a ‘’Nerdfighter’’. This roped me into the Vlogbrothers world. ‘’Raising nerdy to the power of awesome.’’




Along with this channel, they do another: crash course. They've done past courses in World History, Ecology, Literature and Biology, and now John is doing US History and Hank chemistry. After checking out the youtube channels, you must must must start give John's books a read!

The first book I read was called Paper Towns. The realness of the story, the characters and the ideas was something that made me fall in love with this book and John Green’s writing. I felt I could relate to most of his characters, and I found he has a particular, quirky way of channelling emotions and thoughts, that I previously couldn't form into words, into elaborate characters and plot twists.

I will stop here, and let you discover the world of John Green and Nerdfighteria. I truly hope the experience for you is as great as it was for me. DFTBA (don't forget to be awesome).

 “Did you know that for pretty much the entire history of the human species, the average life span was less than thirty years? You could count on ten years or so of real adulthood, right? There was no planning for retirement. There was no planning for a career. There was no planning. No time for planning. No time for a future. But then the life spans started getting longer, and people started having more and more future. And now life has become the future. Every moment of your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college.”
― John Green, Paper Towns

~Bushra

No comments:

Post a Comment