Saturday, April 13, 2013

Friday’s Music: Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes


So today I bring to you Seven Army Nation. Here’s the link.

I chose this song because it reminded me of Saba’s red hot rage. It’s one of the things that fascinate me in this story. Why does she feel this rage so intensely? Where does it come from? Why does it make her so strong? It adds an unfathomable depth to Saba’s character, and matches her already fueled  wild spirit.


I'm gonna fight 'em all
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back
-
And I'm talking to myself at night,
 Because I can't forget
Back and forth through my mind
-
I'm gonna work the straw
Make the sweat drip out of every pore
And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding

(these are just some of the lyrics)

This reminds me of her determination throughout the story, in everything she does, like her quest to find Lugh or free Jack from the fire. It also reminds me of her fearlessness in the face of death; Wise man sees that, he turns around an gits the hell out as fast as he can. But we ain’t turnin, I says. No, he says. Wisdom ain’t a virtue I ever aspired to. ~page 292 BRR. That's what Saba's says in response to Ike about the four dead men they saw that were hanged by the Tonton. I also think with Saba, it's hard to approve of her actions and sympathize with her at times, her tenacious body and mind seems like it can take care of itself. 

This song has an intent beat, and I think it matches the steadiness of Saba's persistence to get what she wants.

~Bushra

No comments:

Post a Comment